SuperBum turned SuperHero

Hancock (2008)

Hancock (2008)

Actors:Will Smith, Charlize Theron and Jason Bateman

Clever, quick and witty are the 3 words that spring to mind when I think of the film, Hancock.

Hancock follows the story of a washed up super hero; who finds solace in a normal human guy just trying to change the world. I for one love this film, it has a strong message of how even the smallest person can go from, zero to hero!


Will Smith gives another astounding performance as Hancock, taking a good knowledge of his days working as the boy from bel air and also other various roles such as the lonely robot killing detective in i Robot. You get the feeling that this is a guy who wants to do right but has never known how. This is were Jason Bateman's character, a plucky PR man with 'all heart' and no backing, comes into play.

Ray (the PR man) offers to help Hancock become more friendly with the people and act as a proper super hero, in the hope that it will bring him some business prospects in return. I have seen this film before and so I knew the small twist included in the film, however I still found it enjoyable once it was revealed.

The plot behind Hancocks' origins are somewhat explained towards the end of the film, however I did not feel that it completely added up. The idea behind Hancock is that every one of his kind has a sole mate somewhere on earth, if they are to ever meet they slowly become weaker and slowly become more mortal. This will allow them the ability to love and be like normal human beings. My question is, what is the point of having these super human beings, if fate is trying to draw them together to become more like us?

Surely it would make sense for them to be immortal together and in love forever.

-Summary-
Apart from this minor plot fall, Hancock is a thoroughly enjoyable film and I would recommend it to anybody. It is a stylish take on a genre which has been done so many times I feel I know it like the back of my hand.

I would give this film a 'PoP' Rating of 9





No comments:

Post a Comment